Monday, May 4, 2009

Shiny Plastic Couches

Sometimes a smell can take you to a faraway place. The other day I smelled a familiar smell and in an instant my mind was transported to my grandparent’s house. I could almost feel the carpet as I watched wrestling, with Grandma in her chair and Granddad in his.

I can still remember just about every detail of their house, I can tell you where every piece of furniture should be. I spent many hours exploring every inch of their house, and I’m sure that I have seen everything from every possible angle. Well, there was one room that I can’t say that about, The Parlor. I can only remember going in that room one time and I was quickly drug out by my ear.

It was a beautiful room; it was not the living room, because there was no life in the parlor. I know that there was an organ in there, a giant wooden record player, and couches covered in shiny plastic. The plastic was there to protect the couches, but I’m sure they were no fun to sit on. Now, I’m not anti-plastic slip cover, so don’t get mad if you have shiny plastic couches.

Remembering Grandma’s parlor made me wonder: How many Christians have parlors in their lives? Sure, we gave our lives to Jesus, but did we really turn it all over to Him? Maybe we have collected some sins that we like, that aren’t “that bad” that we have wrapped in plastic and told Jesus to stay away from. Jesus wants full access to our lives and we cannot experience life to the fullest unless we allow Him into our “parlors” and let Him clean those out too.
So come on in Jesus, we kind of like our shiny couches but we love You more.

No comments:

Post a Comment