Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Closer than you think

“I do it myself!” Those are the words that echo through our house these days. Along with the growing vocabulary and coordination has also come the desire to be independent. It is amazing how many things a two-year-old thinks he can do by himself. As a father it is sad to let go sometimes, but at the same time it is great to watch him accomplish something on his own.
Sometimes Riley tries to bite off more than he can chew and I never want to discourage him so that he becomes overly dependent, but I also don’t want to see him get hurt. I know the days are coming when he will say, “Daddy let go, I want to swim by myself.” I will let go, and even though in his eyes he is doing it all by himself and I am far away; the truth is, I will be closer than he thinks and when the water gets over his head I will grab hold of him and pull him to safety.

I wonder sometimes if God is watching us, and we say, “Daddy, I do it!” I can almost see those loving eyes looking at frail us. More than one time I’ve found myself in a situation like Peter who jumped off the boat and took his eyes off of Christ. You can see the surface of the water above you, the lightning and waves. You know that the end is near, when out of nowhere a strong arm reaches down and pulls you in close to safety.

Maybe that is where you are this morning, your independence has gotten you in trouble again or you are starting to feel that circumstances have gotten the best of you. I want you to know that just like any loving Father; God is closer than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment