Saturday, April 25, 2009

Red Rover

“Red Rover, Red Rover, send Joshie right over!” My heart started pounding as soon as I heard my name. I had been chosen. The goal is to run as fast as you can and smash through the other team’s line, forcing two of them to lose their grip on each other’s hands. Adrenaline was flowing, my seven year old feet were moving as fast as they could, my breath whistled through my missing tooth and I thought, “Today I will prove them wrong and bring victory to my team.” I set my sights on two little girls, they were the weak link, and I charged full steam. I smashed into their line, momentum pushed my feet forward and gravity pulled my rear-end down, clothes-lined by two little girls. Skinny little Josh was just not big enough for that game.
Life is a lot like Red Rover, your name gets called; you try your best and hope that in the end you’re still standing. Some of us experience failure early in life and start accepting that we are failures, no matter how hard we try; we just keep falling. But then you hear something, is that your name being called? Your heart starts pounding and you realize that it is. Jesus is calling you, He has seen all of your failures, He knows how weak you are, but He still loves you. So, when we see that we have failed, Jesus sees that we qualify for mercy and grace and He offers that gift to everyone, even failures.
It is nice to be chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment