Sunday, April 26, 2009

Easter Everyday

Elvis has never called me on the phone. I saw a lady on TV the other day who said he had called her recently. It amazes me that all these years later people can still have hope that he is alive. It is hard for me to believe that he was smart enough to pull off that kind of hoax in the 70’s only to get caught at a 99-cent store in Podunk, Indiana buying some crunchy peanut butter. If you want to believe that he is alive that is your decision. And if he is alive I hope that he realizes that not even the King of Rock-and-Roll can escape death forever.

Today, as we celebrate Easter, it is easy to get distracted by the eggs, family activities, candy and even all the church activities. None of these are bad, but in the middle of all of these things let’s not forget why we celebrate. The King of Rock and every other human has or will have an appointment with death (unless Christ comes back before then.) But, we can celebrate because some 2000 years ago, this thing that terrified so many people was beaten by Jesus, God’s son who came and became like us, so that we could live without fear of death.

You may say, “How do you know that Jesus beat it?” I know because He told us, Revelation 1:18 says, “I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.” (NKJV) When Elvis calls me and tells me he is down the street, I will believe that I was wrong, but for now we can celebrate that we serve a risen Savior and nothing can change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment